Saturday, March 3, 2007

Thorough disgust

I hate to say it, but for once I agree with Byron Crawford of XXL, this is really stupid. Rap has been bad so very long, I don't understand why it's taken so long to realize it. I got into the music once I got to Swarthmore 2 1/2 years ago, and then (and still now) I only really listened to old stuff, to catch up on the music that mattered. I am also not convinced that any of the gun/crack/women talk is really that much worse than before, it's just executed much more poorly. And I still don't believe rap is what's killing black people. If that were so, that would mean that non-black youths would have to be in as much trouble too, considering the amount of rap consumed by Latinos/whites/etc. As that is not the case, I think there are other problems that could be looked at to help out black people. DId people blame the Civil Rights Movement and the cooperation of some whites in that on rock'n'roll? There you go.

This is interesting. I would have thought all rap personalities were behind someone who feels he represents them, and has worked in their communities for them, as opposed to just working there to be seen. I guess Timbaland's feeling like a black Republican from all that JT/ Nelly Furtado cream.

Speaking of 'Baracka' (, thanks Juelz), I never really thought this would be that big an issue. How are two of them going to Selma, and one's giving a talk about the damn place? What about my damn health care/ stem cell research/ social security? Hillary Clinton is also an incredibly grimy person, on a side note. This is a particularly clever remark from an aide:
It’s probably a proud moment for us all. But there’s so much history to be made this time around — having the first woman president, having the first African-American nominee, having the first Latino nominee.
No knows who Bill Richardson, the candidate of Mexican descent, is, regardless of his experience or apparent dedication to foreign issues. Though he's the governor of New Mexico, he has been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize four times. Nice. His entrance does make for an interesting race, in some way. I hope he gets on his game. If I know anyone who votes for CLinton, I will be extremely disappointed, as she is being supported by the founder of Base, Embarassing Television. Someone needs to explain to me why Robert Johnson's doing that, normally he'd support anything/ anyone "black," and I have a feeling it has nothing to do with Obama's experience. He sucks.

What's with the NYT trying to analyze race all the time? I feel like a "phenomenon" like this has been around for a little while, at least.

And allow me to leave you with this parting shot:

No comments: