Saturday, March 31, 2007

Brad rediscovers OutKast...


We just can't be amazed

Listen to the first verse of this. I am well aware I am a few weeks late (I've been busy with grown-up stuff), but this is such a relief. Before I begin, I would just like to remind you all to only listen to the first verse, as I don't think anyone cares to hear from Murphy Lee or Nelly (where did he go, anyway)? Rap is bad right now, been bad for about three or four years in my opinion. Even the last OutKast album sucked. But these little snippets give us hope for creativity, something sorely lacking from the pop music world in general, but the problem is especially heinous in rap. This reminds me of a little movie from 1996...


OK, they may not be the same thing (I sure as hell hope not), but the point remains. When T.I., Young Jeezy and Young Buck are the best rappers out, I think it's safe to say there is a problem. That's no knock on their home region, this is a post celebrating Andre 3000, but the fact of the matter is, rap sucks. A lot. No one is exciting in the least bit to me, and I'm only 20. If they can't reach me, they're assed out as I'm one of the people who buys albums, tour tickets, shirts, etc. And judging by album sales, it seems the good-old "mass marketing" technique of record companies and ClearChannel's brainwashing aren't working anymore.

There is no new/interesting rap news. Oh well, Disney may finally release "Song of the South" on DVD. I looked up some clips on Youtube last night, it's not as offensive as I thought. Except for the whole Uncle Remus thing. I can't really be mad at the actor who plays him, it's a job, but man did I feel sorry for him. To have to say things like "Br'er Rabbit was pow'ful hongry" for a couple months straight must wear on you. Enjoy a clip:



Welcome to the Disney family, Halle

In other Disney news, they revealed their first black princess, Maddy, a couple weeks ago. She's set to star in "The Frog Princess" two years from now. And it takes place in the N.O. She's a black, American princess? What the hell kind of sense does that make? Can't she live in Africa, and the Imagineers can use some old African proverb and tell the story using that culture, like "Mulan" and "Aladdin"? I am also worried that this will water down N.O.'s jazz scene, as they won't be able to help but use jazz to the point that I kill myself in this movie. And if there are no strong black men in this one, I won't say I'm not surprised. Thankfully, they're basing it on an actual story, not just making up some shit to appease black people, so it may turn out all right. And the co-directors did "The Little Mermaid" and "Aladdin." But that was 15 years ago. We'll see. Go find a picture of Maddy for yourself. Here's one, not very good, though.

No comments: